From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 23:37:19 -0400
Hello again - just more comments

Birds of Prey - I keep a window open with access for ferrets all year long.
This window is protected by very heavy guage screen & ferrets enjoy the air
all year.  However, some birds do not appreciate their presence and window
gets "dive bombed" from time to time.  Blue Jays seem the worst - but crows,
mocking birds and others - have perceived the ferrets as threat or possibly
dinner.  Ferrets react to bird shrieks and usually vacate window fast --
except for all the whole hobs!  They become territorial and Shoke and a crow
had a go one day until I arrived on scene to see what all the noise was
about.  Ferret, crow and screen survivied.

Carrie - Kodiak does have an odd hair loss pattern - not really consistent
with adrenal tumor or hyperplasia - and it sounds like your vet is on top of
it.  Follow his advice and let him worry about it.  He will take care of
Kodiak.  Remember, this is summer and some hair loss is normal.  Also, can
take a very long time for fur to grow in after it has been "rubbed down" by
something like halter or collar, or shaved for sugery or tests.

Treats - Raisins, of course, one or two a day.  My ferrets get a snack or
meal of chicken, turkey, or even beef and hamburger, once a day.  Most of
mine like a cat Pounce treat now and again.  Also fruit and veggies - in
moderation - especially banana, grapes, etc.  Some of mine love lettuce.
Just recently came across new treat on market made by 8 and 1 - called Fruit
and Crunch.  Although first ingredient is ground yellow corn, it also
contains lots of goodies.  Almost all ferrets like this varied mix - again
only one or two to a ferret.  And, of course, Ferretone, nutrical and
Felovite II for vitamins.

Tip for introducing new foods - Take new food and place it somewhere that
ferret is not expecting to find food.  Like arm of chair, corner of bed, on
table or other furniture they have access to, or on your dinner plate.
Ferret will probably steal it.  Yell "Hey" and pursue ferret as if you have
serious intent of retrieving the food.  Repeat this process a bit.  They
will generally love this "stolen" food forever.  They have convinced you to
give it to them.

Chris - if your ferrets have not had ECE and you are going to a meeting
where there will be exposed ferrets, think I would skip the meeting.  No
meeting is worth possibly bringing ECE back into your house.  Am relatively
certain that a two hour drive will not do in this virus.  Other alternative
is to completely strip off clothing including shoes outside and shower
before you get near your ferrets.  Best to boil yourself for five minutes
just to be sure!  I missed judging a show last year when I had a couple of
fresh outbreaks of ECE shortly before show.  Even if I had followed every
sterilization precaution known to mankind - still might have carried it.
Better to be safe than sorry.

Regarding sleeping with ferrets - have slept with one or more ferrets in bed
for over fifteen years.  Never hurt one yet.  On cold nights, usually have
quite a pile cuddled up with their warm human.  Kind of neat to have
precious warm furry fuzzies sleeping with you.

Brooke - Don't think you are seeing a fervac vaccine reaction.  Sounds like
change in poop color to yellow probably from stress of vet visit or not
significant.  Sure vets will comment if I am wrong.

Cedar Oil Shampoo - not familiar with this shampoo - so don't know if it has
fragrance or cedar oil.  However, although inhalation poses most of
problems, have seen and heard of many skin reactions to cedar oil.  Think
would skip this.  Why use it when so many other nicely scented shampoos
available?  Also, remember, your ferret can react with skin reaction to any
scented shampoo.  Dr. Bonner's pure castile peppermint liquid soap is great
for fresh scent.

Marshall Farms Ferrets - which comprise most of our ferret pets.  When I
first owned ferrets, many years ago, they were all Marshall Farms.  These
earlier ferrets were in pet stores at an older age then we see them now.
Whether they had a longer "shelf life" or were neuter/descented at a
slightly older age, I do not know.  And these early MF ferrets all, with
exception of one, lived to be very old for ferrets as we know them today.
Problems such as adrenal, pancreatic, cancer, etc.  seemed to develop much
later in life and it was reasonable to expect a life age of 9-12 years.  But
not any more.  Life expectancy has dropped.  One only has to read these
pages to note all the problems.  MF ferrets are developing geriatric
problems at earlier and earlier ages.  First it seemed to drop to 5-7 years.
Then to 4-5 years.  Now MF ferrets are developing adrenal problems as early
as one year and not at all uncommon to see it by age 2-4.  Why?  My last MF
ferret - rescued as a kit - is four and has already had a benign tumor
removed, been through a bout of ulcers, has an enlarged spleen (may be
related to ulcers) and has a chronic bowel problem.  Lymphatic cancer also
seems to be on the increase and with MF ferrets developing it at earlier and
earlier ages - cases reported at two to six months.  Something is wrong
here.  Please don't bother to flame on this.  Flames won't change the fact
that so many, many pet owners are experiencing problems.  Not to say that
breeder's ferrets won't have problems - but chances of fewer problems are
really signficantly better - in my experience.  And this is certainly not a
slam against MF ferrets, God knows I love mine as much as children.  Cheers,
Meg