From:
petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 17:08:05 -0600
Ed Lipinski writes:
>Don't for the moment think that the "clinical" method is by any means
>superior to what I must necessarily describe to you following.  As has
>already been mentioned in the January 29ths posting, you'll have to talk
>like hell to convince him(or her, the veterinarian) to let you view the
>procedure I'm familiar with and totally abhor.  At this point, I should
>like to invite a veterinarian to describe in detail the normal method
>currently in use involving the penetration into the ventral thorax of the
>ferret with an exceedingly large gauge needle to administer a lethal dose
>of poison into a screaming and struggling ferret.  It is an ugly scene and
>therefore not overly suprising that you are prohibited from seeing in done.

Obviously Ed's experience with euthanasia is extremely limited.  It has
been our unpleasant experience to have to put some of our beloved ferrets
to sleep, and our vet has not only let but encouraged us to be there when
the injection is done.  Any caring vet will encourage the humans to be
there with their animals.  This talk of penetrating the thorax with an
extremely large needle is, to put it frankly, baloney.  (Didn't want to
make BIG censor me!)  My husband is a hunter and is more interested in
guns than I am, but he's not interested in killing our sick ferrets with
a pellet gun.  Ed, it sounds like you need to find a new vet.

Sara and Kurt Petersen
FURRY (Ferrets Underfoot Running Round You)

http://members.igateway.net/~furry