From:
LCPL JENNIFER J ACKLEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 02:53:45 -0400
Well I have an opion on this particular topic.  I have 9 ferrets and I work
swing shift every 2 weeks my schedule changes part of being in the Marine
Corps.  My husband works 12 to 16 hour days sometimes.  And before we were
married we lived in the barracks and only had 2 ferrets who stayed caged
all the time.  They only got let out and 1 hour a day and seemed to sleep
a whole lot.  When we got married and moved out in town we let Gypsy and
Tristan run free after throughly ferret proofing the house.  They have their
own room the living room and kitchen they are allowed to go in.  Their room
has all their toys, tubes, sleep sacks, hammacks, bed, ferret tent, water,
food, litter boxes, etc..... The kitchen has food, water, and litter box.
They are much more alert and playful when they can run free.  And all my
babies are very affectionate do to this.  They come out to were you are and
visit with you and give sugars when they are ready to be held and loved.

They are like any other pet.  Do you let your cat and dog run around the
house free?????  They can get out when a door is open.  That all goes along
the lines of why feed a ferret cat food?  Why treat a ferret like they are
a criminal because they are smaller.  If you have a tea cup poodle or a
minature pincher or a chiuahua they are all small dogs that could get out by
you when the door is open.  I know that that is the first thing myself and
my husband look for before we open a door.  We do ferret checks every night
before bed and when we get home for work and guess what same thing always 9
ferrets.  I can't speak for any one else but I am really insulted that
someone would think I don't love my babies because I chose to let them be
free in the house the way their cousins are in the wild.  No animal deserves
to be caged in my opion.  Would you like to be in jail?????  That's how they
feel every tome you lock that cage door and leave i'm sure.  And I don't get
on the list and slam people that have them caged and I'm sure others don't
appreciate being slamed for letting theirs run free.  I've never had a
ferret get hurt or lost running free!!!!!!!!!

And as for crying because your ferret is dead or lost wheter it's your fault
or not.  That baby is yours like a child or a loved one don't people cry
when their kids runawya or die or are abdusted.  Is it that childs parents
fault for letting walk down the street or go to school.  Violence is
everywhere and very sad for those whom it affects.  I guess I'll sign off by
saying if I don't love my ferrets because I let them run loose in the house
then why do I take in homeless ferrets and take care of them?

(i.e. We took in 4 ferrets in Febuary all of which got deathly sick we spent
$1000 on those 4 ferrets in a matter of 3 weeks.  One died and 3 had to be
syringe feed and just 2 week ago started eating hard food.  The vet said
they wouldn't make it to put them to sleep.  Well I loved them after just a
few hours enough to keep fighting for them and they responding by fighting
for themselves.  And now they are running free through the house playing
with the babies.  And if I don't love them I don't know who does.....)

Respectfully Submited,
Lcpl Jennifer J Ackley-Kelley
United States Marine Corps
Camp Lejeune NC

Tristian, Gypsy, Pepper, Kit Kat, Pickle, Ozzy, T.J., Pretzel, Pinky