Date:
Thu, 3 May 2012 07:50:32 -0700
Thank you to all that replied to my posts, both privately and on the
FHL and FML.

There are now 4 ferrets here that were a cause of concern.

I'll list each separately, along with their history. Time frame,
symptoms and necropsy results are important. We have answers.

#1 Korbel, implanted April 6, bled from bowel and mouth died April 25.
Necropsy showed no tumors or adrenal diease. She was previously
implanted April 2011 with no problem.
See necropsy results below in #2

#2 Winky (friends ferret here) implanted 10 months ago. Passed this
April 18, same symptoms as Korbel.
My vet just reviewed the necropsy photos that my friend took. Her
conclusion *I suspect Winky died from cancer, not the deslorelin...
Looks pretty concerning for hemangiosarcoma or lymphoma. Ardith's
ferret's necropsy didn't look anything like that... Just a discolored
yellow-tan liver, blood in the abdomen, and a possible clot to the
pyloric region of the stomach to cut off blood supply (never found
the clot, but they can be very small and hard to find)*

#3 Truckee (different friends ferret) Implanted April 20, died
April 26. Same symptoms.
Necropsy results from her vet *diagnosed it as Hemorrhagic
GastroEnteritis (HGE) but root cause unknown since no tests had
been performed.*

#4 Butterscotch. Belongs to same friend as #3. Same symptoms.
This ferret had NOT been implanted. This ferret is being aggressively
treated with IV fluids, meds. I'm waiting for a update on his condition.

Ferret # 1 and #2 had had no contact with #3 and #4.

This is all good news as far as the des implants go. We all have used
them here with wonderful results, and encourage other ferret owners
here to try them. Truckee's mom was one of those. Imagine how we felt
when we thought there could be a connection.

For those that felt I caused undue panic.....

I remember the wonderful shelter moms and dads that came forward with
distemper info. That must have been terrifying, and so hard to do. We
learned about those all important CD boosters. Ferrets did not die in
vain.

I think of the owners that post about tragic accidents. I now know to
keep the cages far enough from the wall to allow a climber to be able
to scoot back down, and not get trapped. I now know to check cage
shelves and make covers to prevent little feet getting caught.

My own Korbel was able to get through a opening between the dishwasher
and a cabinet that I just KNEW she could NOT get through My Patch can
go over a 32" barrier in one jump from the floor. I now know to warn
folks that it *can* be done.

I hope this post will put minds at ease about the des implants.

Still a question in my mind for Korbel. But I learned.....

From now on, when there seems no obvious cause for death, I will ask
for pathology.

Ardith