From:
HorridCow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:04:35 -0700
My two ferrets have fallen mysteriously ill.  This has happened once
before.  Both went catatonic as a result and the vet had little or no
hope for their recovery -- but they did get better.

But it's happened again, and I don't know what to do.  I have a great
exotics vet that's familiar with ferts.  They're doing everything they
can.

Here's a little about the illness; I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I have two ferrets, one female, two years old, and one male, four.
They're both fixed.  I feed Totally Ferret (and Marshall's Farms Duk
Soup, some paste treats and Ferretone occasionally).  I use Yesterday's
News or Good Mews (recycled paper pellets) bedding.  They are a little
behind on their shots, but were current last time this happened so
distemper was ruled out.  They have not been outside, or had contact
with any other ferrets, etc.

They just stop eating, and drinking, and go downhill very quickly,
leaving them malnurished, dehydrated, and nearly catatonic.  This happens
to both at the same time, which makes things like bowel obstructions,
cancer, etc. unlikely.

Spike has neurological issues this time, she's curling to one side and
won't twist the other way.  This morning the vet said she'd been rolling
all night, and was nearly corkscrewed when the vet went to check on her.

They are only allowed free in a ferret-proofed room, and we only use
non-toxic cleaners (Simple Green).  I have checked around their cage
many times and I can't find anything they might get into.  Last time
they underwent a tox screen which came back negative.

There are no lumps or obstructions that the vet can find.  CBC panels
came back inconclusive last time.  Signs of inflammation, but nothing
more helpful than that.  They're doing a new ferret specific one this
time, maybe that will turn something up.

Part of those have come back.  Spike's glucose is very high (the vet
says that that could be stress).  Wiggy's, though, is the opposite --
extremely low.  (Low normal is 80, his came back as 10.) The vet said
that doesn't fit the clinical picture, though, as he was moderately alert
when I brought him in, so she's redoing it.

The vet has said that the best course for Spike, if nothing shows up
on the panels that she can treat aggressively, is to put her down.
I'm heartbroken but I don't want her to suffer.

I can't think of anything else right now, but please ask if you think
some other information will help.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.