From:
Mary Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:15:20 EDT
>What is the best fencing to use?  I would prefer a narrow steel wire but
>if something else is more perfect I would like to know.  Also, How big
>should it be?  My backyard is about 90 feet by 65 feet.  Please don't
>tell me the whole thing!  This will just be a pen for them to play in for
>sun and fun.  Not a real cage and never left unattended.  I live in the
>city so no preditor fear.  What about just letting the grass grow wild
>and tall and not cut it so they can have that "I'm in a jungle" feel.  My
>others always loved the tall grass.  I used to leave about a 20 ft strip
>for the ladybugs to live in.  Any idea how tall the fence should be?  Can
>ferrets climb a wire fence?  Also, what about digging?  Do I need to bury
>part of the fence underground so if they dig at the fence they hit wire
>underground?  How far underground should it be?

Hi Mary Jo ~

I use either rabbit wire, or a smaller single- ply chicken wire.  The
chicken wire comes in either 4' tall or 6' tall.  I use the 4'.  I'm not
fond of the fencing that is covered with a rubber coating.  Ferrets will
dig , so I make an inner edge on the bottom and use plant stakes to stake
it down every foot or so.  You'll also need to cover the top because they
scale the sides in a second.  Make your gate big enough for yourself to
crawl into.  My cage is 12 feet by 15 feet.  I have a pile of rocks for
coolness in the summer.  I put a frozen bottle of water on the rocks
and as it defrosts in the heat it melts over the cool rocks.  My ferrets
do not go out if it is over 80 degrees in the summer though.  Always
supervise your ferrets outside.  I once had a wild rabbit almost succeed
in digging out a lovely domestic bunny I had in an outside play area.

Warmly ~
Mary
Herbalist
The Conley Farm - organic herbs