From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:55:09 -0500
I disagree with Bob Church's suggestion to use rudeness in responding to
people with negative ferret attitudes.

If you have been unable to convince someone with facts, logic and
persuasive arguments, name calling won't work either.  It risks
alienating those who might have come around to your way of thinking, and
cements the opinions of those who think we are just crazy ferret people.

When you question someone's parentage, suggest they have the intelligence
of a dirty gym sock and smell like one too, tell them they are immoral
and unethical, you only put them on the defensive, and they will not be
likely to believe anything else you say is valid.  You will have made an
enemy to you and to your cause.

Bob suggests that some of our founding fathers were rude and outspoken
people.  Very true.  And they followed up their words with action.
Bullets are very persuasive, but unless Bob is suggesting an armed
insurrection in California, I don't think this is a very practical
comparison with the ferret issue.

So logic, facts, persuasive arguments, and dogged determination are our
best weapons.  We may not convince someone the first time, or the second,
or even the tenth.  But eventually and surely we will prevail!

By the way, Sukie's comments on the amount of money spent on ferrets are
important.  I think it would be very beneficial to track this commentator
down, and find out just where the numbers came from and what assumptions
were made.  (For example, Troy Lynn pointed out (off-list) that many cat
and some dog products were actually purchased for ferrets.) California
may be missing out on a potential boost to its economy!

I do think it is important to find out just what this number means,
though.  I am personally bothered by the "3rd most popular pet" thing
that many people quote.  No one seems to know where it came from or
just what it means.  I fear it is inaccurate, like the "ferrets were
domesticated in Egypt" idea.  And as Bob has pointed out many times,
these inaccuracies can come back to bite us too!

Linda Iroff