Date:
Sun, 6 May 2007 09:39:51 -0400
Bob Church recently described himself in this way: "I am an extremely
well-educated professional who is lucky to earn $12,000 a year doing
what I am trained to do."  We all know that Bob is a frequent poster
on the FML and LOVES to travel cross-country and around the world in a
state known only as "Bob-time" just to talk to people about ferrets.
This past year has been spent traveling all over the world talking,
learning and gathering data. It has also been a year of numerous
personal changes.

For those of you who don't know Bob, you may be surprised to learn that
he was born in California, a place he enjoys visiting -- if only for
the fun he has at the expense of CA Fish & Game. A former MD wannabe --
as a teenager he considered a career in medicine -- Bob spent four
years as a Navy Corpsman, sealing his decision to NOT become a doctor!
He transferred the interest and education to zooarchaeology. He also
studied photography with an award-winning photojournalist, authorizing
him to carry a loaded camera.

Bob is currently gathering information on ferret teeth and skeleton, as
well as domestication and behavior. He also writes a column of ferret
enrichment for FERRET magazine, as well as lecturing at various clubs
and conferences on these things. His goal is to compile the most
complete ferret library out there and he has a good jump on all of us!
Ask Bob about some of his lesser known acquisitions. He will probably
pull out a piece of Egyptian papyrus to show the link between ferrets
and ancient Egypt -- wati, what's that you say, Bob? There IS no link?
But. . . "The idea that ferrets were domesticated in Egypt is a myth. I
might pull it out to show a glyph is a mongoose and not a ferret, but
NOT to show a link." Well, how about a picture of him with a rabbit and
a ferret to show the way Europeans have their ferrets earn a living?

Bob is a daddy and some of you know one of his daughters from the FML.
Recently Bob became a grampa, too -- one here and one on the way. Hard
to imagine, huh, that this ferret photographer is probably about to
start using as much film on skin-kids as on the fur-bearers. But, wait!
Remember the well-educated professional? He also said, "So I earn extra
money (extra? Ha!) by doing work for pathologists, shooting model
portfolios, and doing research and grunt work for professors. I'm not
proud." MODEL PORTFOLIOS? Does Bob call this work?

So, who does Bob admire? Other than his new grandbabies, there is one
group of people who Bob holds in high regard. "I have always felt that
we would have much better human doctors if they were required to spend
two years as a vet before being allowed to work with people. THAT is
how much respect and admiration I have for vets. They are my heroes.
I've said this before and I'll undoubtedly say it again: I have 14
ferrets, but not a single one to spare. My vet helps me hold them to
my heart as long as possible. It is a debt I can never repay."

Even his email address: [log in to unmask] is about conversing! Spend
a little time with the Hawaiian-shirt clad zooarchaeologist and you may
also learn that there are certain things about him that surprise you.
And, he may share a photo or two of the newest hobby in his life -- his
grandchildren.

--
renee :)
It's amazing how much can be accomplished if nobody cares who gets the