From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 23:41:37 -0500
Condolences to those that have lost loved ones of all leg-counts.

Though I'm certain that some ferrets have deep-enough emotions that
they can actually either get seriously ill, or even die, from missing
their previous homes, the two-dozen-plus ferrets that I have taken in
have not shown such emotional loss. It might be due to any number of
reasons, but I'd like to think that it was because of the environment
that I've provided them, once they've come to live here. As with many
that have suffered a broken heart, in most cases, time can heal all
wounds. However, a good, loving and happy environment can give a major
boost to that healing.

I've seen ferrets come up, one at a time, to "say Good-Bye" to another
dying ferret. I've seen cagemates pile on a sick ferret in order to
help keep the sick one warm. I've seen ferret take food from a dish and
bring it to a ferret that wasn't feeling well. I've even had ferret
make a point of grooming me and nuzzling me, in order to get me out of
a state of depression or exhaustion. Not only do ferrets have emotions
- they have (at least, from what *I've* seen) very strong emotions.
They share these emotions, too.

Knowing that ferrets (and my cat, too!) have and share emotions, I am
willing to believe that a ferret can actually grieve for the loss of a
cagemate/playmate/care-taker. I can also believe that some ferrets can
feel the loss so strongly, they can even die. I know that *my* grief at
the loss of a ferret is one of the strongest emotions I've ever felt. I
think it would be extremely arrogant of me to think that my ferrets
can't feel those same types of emotions.

---
Todd and the Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns
http://leuthold.lancaster.pa.us/Page2/