From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:45:28 -0500
Once they are over 6 months in age it is generally harder to introduce
ferrets to a new taste.  Some never accept new flavors but most do if you
gently rub a bit on their gums and noses a few times and let them lick it.
(With died foods the things to do are to mix the foods together during an
introduction, or even grind some of the old food and let it be a powdered
covering for the new food.) This is one reason why people who have had
ferrets a long time usually feed a mix of foods and introduce a lot of
flavors, esp.  ones that will be needed when a ferret takes sick like
assorted types of meat baby foods and a/d, to ferrets when they are kits.

>Hello everyone!!  I was doing some research online on Marshall Farms.  I
>have only heard negative feedback about them.  Does anyone own a Marshall
>ferret?  Do you have any problems with him/her?  I contacted Marshall and
>they sent me an article that was written about them on March 18, 2002.
>If you would like to read it, I will happily forward it to you.

Well, we have had ferrets from a range of breeders in our family for 20
years and the MFs have not differed from any from other sources in health
or longevity of their ferrets.  Simply no difference at all.  What have
differed poorly here have been some fancies, and that has been totally
independent of the sources (farms, small breeders) so we are avoiding
pandas and blazes now in case that wasn't a statistical quirk and really
was a reflection of a genetic problem that impacts beyond the well
documented hearing problems that can occur.  (There are pandas and blazes
that I have heard about who have or have had normal lifespans of 7 or 8
years, but I've heard of more dying younger -- that is NOT a scientific
sampling,though, so may mean absolutely squat.  To be safest just be extra
careful to get regular check-ups and medical tests a bit younger on them
and more consistently.) If you want the best chance of a long life and
best health then you need to find a private breeder who has been careful
to keep long and detailed records of health and longevity that you can
check.  Show championships mean nothing except looks, and I have heard of
some champion lines that have ferrets which lived to only 5 years old
which is far too young.

>[Moderator's note: If it was on the FML, I have it, of course.  Lemme
>know please.  BIG]

Yep.  At the top of every issue of the FML is info on accessing the
FML archives which are at
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html .  Thanks for
having those and the list, and the faqs, and the SOS list, and so
much more, Bill!      [The last couple of months will be there by
the end of March.  BIG]

>I have to ask...Why?  Why dye your ferrets fur, for what possible purpose
>would a sane and rational ferret keeper decide to change its fur colour?

It comes in very handy if there are two who look rather similar and one
needs medications in the wee hours when you are likely to be sleepy.
Food coloring can prevent a dangerous mistake then.  Nor do they find it
"humiliating"; if they realize that it gets them attention they get
happily excited about it being renewed every two weeks or so.  We have
had fine results from it when used for that purpose.

Sukie

For health information:
http://geocities.com/sukieslist