From:
Linda Doran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 10:47:33 -0700
Ditto to Pam Grant's warning about pet store ferrets: Some months ago in
Albuquerque, a ferret owner brought home a pet store kit and suddenly had a
major case of ECE in her other ferrets.  Of course, the kit, as has often
been posted here, was healthy but was a carrier.  I've pretty much decided
I'm not visiting the ferrets in that store again as long as I have my four
beautiful ferrets, who have never had ECE and would rather not get it.  My
heart goes out to anyone who has ever had to deal with that awful disease.
Anyway, the point is, the ECE didn't come from Marshall Farms, which is
where the distributor of ferrets to this store usually gets its ferrets;
someone apparently took an order from another breeder and infected the whole
population.  For the kits, it doesn't matter; but for older ferrets at home,
it could be deadly.  (Sorry to bear such sad news!)

Linda