From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 15:15:12 EDT
We had Niko the "Meatloaf with Teeth" at the vet on Saturday.  To make a
long story short, after an EKG, CBC, x-rays, ultrasound, urinalysis and
another ultrasound, his biggest problem right now is plain old obesity.
Problem is that Niko loves to eat.

He is free roam about 14 hours a day, so it's not that he doesn't have the
opportunity for excercise, and he does move around some, but obviously not
enough.

His protein levels are a little high, so we have been advised to feed him
lower protien level foods.  We have two problems, one is finding a good
quality food with lower protein levels, the other is that he is housed with
two other ferrets, one who has perfect weight and the other who is on the
thinner side of normal, so we need to keep their diets up there in fat and
protein.

We do not wish to break this trio up.  The are between 5 1/2 and 8 plus,
and very bonded to each other.  We had been feeding TF for Seniors with
Innova and 8 in 1 Ultimate, plus a handfull of Pro Plan Growth thrown into
each bin full of food.  We have cut out the Ultimate and Innova, the TF
for Seniors is 33%.

Anyone ever have this situation before?  Suggestions?

Anne