From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:18:14 -0400
Part three of three:

Yesterday, Gus had bailed out over enemy territory from the rear wing
window of a minivan.  Time was approximately 4:45 A.M. Saturday morning,
speed 20 mph, location somewhere along a 15 mile 'drop zone' extending
through three towns.  Weather was cool, clear and dry, with a full moon.
Highest probability estimate of location was along the road (drop zone)
in the second town which contained many brand new 'trophy' homes with
very long driveways, and three car garages.  Wildlife including many
carnivores were abundant throughout the area.  I had received a call on
Monday from a very nice lady about a quarter of a mile back from the
road who told me that she thought she had seen Gus.  We left the carry
cage just inside her garage side door with water and food.

On Tuesday I received a second call... The message this time was from the
Sign Warden from the middle, high probability town, (the town actually
pays people to do this job).  He was informing me that I had posted
'illegal signs' on nearly every tree and post in 'his' entire town, (150
signs) and the penalty for this was $300 per sign, per day.  He was
willing to cut me some slack, considering the circumstances... but the
signs would have to be removed immediately.

By Thursday, things were really looking bleak.  The signs were down, we
had received no calls, the food remained untouched, and every morning
there was a fresh set of clawed tracks in the mud near the pond.  The
surveying and construction crews were keeping an eye out, but I was
pretty much resigned to Gus's being lost in hostile territory.  He had
been in great shape, the weather was very pleasant, and water from
several sources was nearby; but the land really belonged to nature, and
several carnivores had apparently moved in to take advantage of the
disruption caused by man's taking over.  My clients were pressing for
attention, and I couldn't think of anything else to do in any event.

Then the answering machine told me that I had another message.  It was
from the Police department in the third town telling me that another
woman had called the dog officer and reported seeing a ferret nearby.
It wasn't light yet, and I had a client to visit first so I put off the
call, and this time Poppie (our dog and Gus's friend) went with me to
keep company.  First we headed out with a squeaker toy to check out the
garage and surrounding area.  Again the food and water were untouched,
and the nearby pond showed plenty of activity.

Around nine o'clock I called the Police and managed to get in touch
with the new caller.  She told me that she had put a ferret in a large
computer box on her driveway.  She was at work now, she hadn't seen any
of my signs, but if I wanted it.... she gave me directions on how to get
there.

She lived more than a half a mile by car from the first location, on the
opposite side of the road which I had been traveling, and back along
another lengthy driveway.  I was wondering if this new ferret would ever
measure up to Gus, whether he would be in good health, and of the many
people who are so unaware of what great companions these guys can be.

I think I said something like "Well let's see what we have here." as I
opened the top, looked in...., and spotted a rather embarrassed looking
Gus Gus ferret!!  Much thinner, very tired, and ravenously hungry, but
unhurt and Gus none the less.  I put him on the car seat, there was a
blur and he kinda like 'disappeared'... only to reappear a microsecond
later next to the food dish.  Quick trip back to get the carry cage and
thank the nice lady, who said that "yes that was him", and we headed
home.

Tomorrow, a quick postlude and some lessons learned.