From:
"Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:30:53 -0400
Hmmm.....perhaps I missed something but I was quite taken back with
one posting suggesting that we rescues and shelters are reprimanding,
lecturing, and being downright hateful to owners who surrender their
pet ferrets. I don't think that is a fair and honest representation of
what is going on out here.

Speaking only for myself and for other shelter moms and dads?to whom I
have spoken with and also for those who have posted their narratives
here -- some of which were heartbreaking stories of divorce-a broken
family and home... devestation either by mother nature or by the
economy....or the severe illness or death of a owner. Each ferret that
is surrendered comes with his or her own story. A reason. Their own
tragedy.

And....most shelters are "over capacity" and still find the room for
"just one more" because that ferret had no where else to go. And,
still, shelters don't turn away ferrets. And, still, these shelters
open their doors and their hearts to owners who truly need help. Help
is offered and taken. Ferrets are saved each and every day.

Again, speaking for myself, I handle each and every call and email
differently as the reasons for surrendering a pet are varied......

To those who just need to?"get rid of" their ferret(s) --- well,
what can I say. Those individuals who, for whatever reason, just
pick one: impulse buy because it was soo cute in the store; a
gift to a girlfriend or boyfriend who are no longer such; a
birthday/Christmas/anniversary present that wasn't received well;
"just too smelly"; "too much trouble"; "kids got tired of it"; "got
a dog/cat now"; "don't want" anymore--my personal favorite!; new
man/woman in their life and said "me or the ferret"; new baby in the
home, etc, etc

 ...... Perhaps you might get the lecture -- but frankly, why bother
 .... a waste of my time and my energy. Good Lord! Some people have
barely stopped the car long enough to bring the ferret to my door...
that's how much their pet?meant to them.

And there are the other owners..... I have taken in ferrets due to
tragic events in the home where keeping the pet was not an option. Did
I prejudge, not at all. Again, I listened. Sometimes I have cried along
with the owner who was in my home saying goodbye to their beloved pet -
trying to find the courage to leave, looking for any way at all he/she
could keep their ferret(s). Any way at all. Alas, only to find no
answer to prayers. And, sadly, they must walk away from the animal that
meant soo much to them. One lady gave up her three kids, the day before
going into a treatment center for advanced inoperable cancer. Three
days after Christmas three years ago-she wanted one more Christmas with
them. I went to her funeral. Have two of her ferrets still, lost Conner
a few months ago due to heart failure.

Turn ferrets away - not yet .... not even one! And, at last look, I am
over capacity and took in one 8-year old albino boy Sunday. Blind in
one eye. Lonely. Thin. Made room for just one more. But, thankfully, I
have had some fosters and two adoptions so far this month - enough to
make room for "just one more."

I am not alone in these experiences - shelter moms and dads all across
the US share these stories with me.

And, for those of you out there that want to criticize me for taking in
too many or want to again tell me that experience has taught them you
can only save so many and "you can't save the world," --- don't. I may
not get enough sleep, I may not have much disposable income, I may not
have as much free time for personal things I would like to do from
time to time, and I may not be able to buy that new car I want-the old
used one finally runs fine now. I CAN tell you with complete and utter
confidence -- for today, tomorrow, and next week -- this is my life's
work. There will be a time when my illness will keep me from fulfilling
my dream, but for now, I can do this. And, I will. And with the peace
of mind and heart to know I did make a difference and in my own little
part of the globe, I provided a safety net for both fuzzies and for
their owners. (and, yes there is someone who is being trained to pick
up the torch when I can no longer carry it)

Maren Doshier Founder/President Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue &
Sanctuary Hernando, MS