From:
Lynn McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:10:43 -0700
>From:    Risa Di Vincenzo <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Diazoxide alone question
>
>Hello.  I was wondering if anyone has any experience using Diazoxide
>alone rather in conjunction with prednisolone.  I was wondering if it
>is effective by itself, and if it eliminated any side effects.

Hello Risa.

I had a tiny albino ferret with a congenital heart defect named Minnie,
the sweetest and cutest little gal.  Minnie got very fat on prednisone,
which was prescribed for insulinoma.  Neither me nor my vet thought this
could be good for her little heart, whose beat sounded like a washing
machine.  To ease the load on her heart we gradually decreased the
prednisone and increased the diazoxide.  I don't think I ever got her
all the way off the prednisone, but we did get it cut back enough that
she lost a whole lot of weight and was able to get around much better,
and her blood sugar seemed just as stable too.  It was one of my all
too few success stories in trying to save my fur kids from diseases.
Minnie weighed about the same as a can of coke and it was so nice to
see her smaller again and able to get around.  She did quite well with
that little swooshing heart, living to be older than eight years.

My best to you and Mizzette.

Lynn