From:
Clare Sebok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 00:37:30 -0500
This evening we stopped at the pet store at the Columbia Mall (Columbia,
Maryland).  There were four baby ferrets in a very tiny space: they were
in one half of an aquarium; the other half housed several hedgehogs.  The
top of the tank had an aquarium light shining down on the ferrets.  A
large pile of feces filled one corner, and two ferrets were asleep with
their heads resting on the poop.  The ferrets seemed unusually lethargic
for evening.  A partially chewed latex toy was in the tank with them.
Another customer spoke to the manager, and I talked with the assistant
manager.  By the time we left, the pile of excrement had been scooped out
and the latex toy was removed.  The assistant manager was very friendly.
He responded to my concern about their tiny living quarters by saying
that customers often take them out and let them play in the puppy booths.
I tried to explain the risk of intestinal blockages and their need for
more living space.  I'm not sure if he was truly concerned or just
practicing his customer service manners.  We hope that someone who lives
in the area can check on these ferrets.  We have to go out of town for
Christmas.

Clare and Bill Sebok