Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 08:59:58 -0400
My parents used PROGRAM on their Cocker Spaniel and were not at all
impressed with the results.  Does this apply to ferrets?  I'll leave that up
to BIG to decide.

[Moderator's note: Don't know what you want me to decide, but since you've
uttered "BIG", I'll ham it up a bit.

Program does *not* kill fleas!  It only keeps them from successfully
reproducing.  And further, the flea must bite your fuzzy in order for the
Program to work.  Since fleas can live for months, it may take weeks or
months before the results of Program are evident.

If you aren't in a situation where you regularly reintroduce fleas into the
household then Program can be a very effective solution: eventually the
fleas will die off and there will be no new ones to take their place since
the Program kept them from reproducing.

On the other hand, since Program does nothing to kill existing fleas many
people will need more immediate relief.  You can use products such as flea
sprays to treat your house, call a service like FleaBusters to treat the
house, or try one of the newer products such as Advantage or Frontline.
These latter two, by all reports, are simply amazing.  A single application
can nearly instantly disable fleas on your animal before the flea critters
even have a chance to bite, and the application lasts for months.

Neither is approved for ferrets, but that doesn't mean they won't work for
them - they do.  The products are similar, though Frontline has the added
feature of being waterproof.  That may or may not be a plus.  BIG]