From:
Dennis Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 03:55:34 -0700
Dave Bartmess <[log in to unmask]> wonders if it matters what gender companion he
gets for Digger, a 1 year old sable male.

My advice is to let Digger choose his new friend.  See if you can find a
shelter nearby where Digger can meet several ferrets.  If you are lucky,
Digger will choose one of them, or one of them will choose him.  Stephanie
Sheme might be able to help you find a shelter.  (Oh, if Digger is ECE-free,
you'll want to find an ECE-free shelter.)

Several years ago, we chose a companion for Grendel, who at the time was a 1
year old who had only been around people, and have since added several more
ferrets, none of whom had any say in the matter.  They all keep him a little
busier, but he's still very people-oriented.  He can take or leave other
ferrets, but would much rather play with and be held by people.  I think his
first year alone with us really socialized him towards people.

Some "only ferrets" at that age are terrified of other ferrets, so you might
introduce him to new ones as gently as possible.

My friend Todd had great success in introducing his only ferret Seldon to a
bunch of shelter ferrets.  A darling little girl ferret chose Seldon to
follow around and sniff, and he tolerated her (unlike most of the others,
who just seemed to scare him) so she went home with them.  They have about
as opposite of temperments as I've seen ferrets have (he's slugly, she's
bouncy), but they're a great pair.

Best of Luck!
Dennis
P.S.  I assume Digger is neutered; if he's not, then another whole male is
almost certainly out--they'd likely injure or kill each other.