From:
lightkeeper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2007 20:06:59 -0500
My first ferret StinkyBob was diagnosed yesterday with having detached
retinas in both eyes. We took him to the vet, he wasn't acting sick, no
diarrhea, no vomiting, he just wasn't himself. When the vet told us the
problem, I was floored. StinkyBob is only 5 years old, he was my first
ferret and very very special to me.

The vet was amazed when I told him StinkBug was 5 years old, he said
judging by his appearance he wouldn't have guessed he was more than a
year and a half to two years old; perfect abdomen; no enlarged spleen,
thick lush coat, excellent dental, etc.

I have cared for blind ferrets before but only in a hospice situation
and ferrets that were much much older than SB. I need ideas how to
enrich his life and keep it full. He is getting around well, he can
navigate the different levels of his cage, find his way around the
house, uses his litter box like a champ. Right now he seems to be a
bit depressed which is understandable but I need ideas how to bring
him out of this and how to keep his life rich and full. Any and all
ideas would be greatly appreciated.

We don't know the reason for the detached retinas; possible rough
playing, weasel war dancing and maybe whacked his face on a piece of
furniture but both eyes I find highly unlikely. Doc said he suspects
genetics since StinkyBob is in otherwise such excellent health. Diet
has always been top-notch kibble so we are at a loss as to why this
happened. The vet thinks he lost the vision in one eye and we didn't
notice the problem until he had lost sight in both eyes. I hope someone
has some suggestions.

Check out my famous crochet ferret eggs for your ferrets. Over 325
dozen sold and that is a lot of happy ferrets.

http://www.derbyeggsandmore.com/

Egg Page:

http://derbyeggsandmore.com/DerbyEggs.html=0D