Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 10:50:38 EDT
Dear Friends and Ferrets,

>BUT what about the Chicken bones?  Even ground up they still could have
>tiny splinters and cause serious damage.  I believe the idea here is they
>are ground up raw....firstly.  Then smashed so there are no large pieces
>etc.  THEN you weed out sharp or whatnot.  Or feed them raw..  they only
>eat the soft ends anyway.
>
>I have been making Bob's chicken gravy and realized WHY would you add
>the chicken bones????????????  I asked my Veterinarian about feeding
>chicken bones and he said Absolutely NOT .

Because your vet is not a nutritionalist- One.... ask any vet around
(call everyone) and ask them have they EVER seen damage caused by a bone
eating ferret?  The answer will almost always be NO..  Dogs yes, ferrets
now.  Ferrets systems are designed to eat bone..look at their body
structure compared to the body, snout head of many dog breeds.

I know that by boiling the whole chicken with the bones should be
sufficient to release from the marrow the accentual minerals into the
soup.  Well, all I can say if it bothers you that much try adding bone
meal to their soup.  I would much rather let them have a natural diet...
bones and all.

As Bob stated... you give them a bone (preferably raw if its just bone)
and later you will find the soft ends chewed off and the middle perfectly
intact in some hidey hole.

>Beware of the bones!!!!!

I see no justification in what you are saying... so I'll keep on feeding
bones

Leanne B