From:
Jennifer Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 21:33:58 -0600
The day I was putting my modem in place and getting the phone lines hooked
up was the day I lost my 4yr old sable, Nicki, whom I had had for 3 yrs.
Unfortuately a door had been left open or just didn't shut and she and her
buddy "Binx" got out into the main house.  We found Binx wandering around
in the house and we knew they were out.  We (my boyfriend and I) called for
Nicki and looked in all of her favorite hiding spots but nothing.  We had
just finished some drywall in the bathroom and thought maybe she had gotten
in their, so I had my boyfriend tearing it up to see.  No avail.  We started
looking outside, fearing that she got out.  Nothing.  I got really worried.
Now we have two large dogs, a hound and a retriver mix.  Yohann, the
retriver, is my dog and he has "met" Nicki at my apt. before I moved in.
My boyfriend yelled that he had found her and brought her to me.  Yohann
had led him to her (Keep this in mind).  She was very lethargic and
unresponsive.  This was Superbowl Sunday and the only vet available was the
ER Clinic.  I rushed her there and they examined her.  As they were trying
to insert a cathater, she had hardly any blood pressure.  Since they could
not find a vein in the normal places they asked if they could clip her body
hair to find a could vein.  I said go ahead.  When the started cliping,
they found massive brusing and several pouncture wounds.  About ten minutes
later she died in my arms.

The theory is that Yohann saw her outside running around like a little
weasel and instictively attacked her.  Probably bit into her just once and
shook her.  (I had her posted and they found the the liver was shredded).
That is how he knew where she was.  Yohann also had a sctrach mark on his
upper gum matching a ferret claw.

Please if you have large dogs or a dog at all, supervise their play time
with the ferrets.

Jennifer
Binx misses Nicki, but I soon rescued another ferret, Trixie and their
doing fine.