From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 2009 11:14:35 -0500
World Health Organization paper on the risks of demineralized water
with expert references:
http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutdemineralized.pdf

I don't have time to look at the current version this week but here is
some info from
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL8423

>BEGIN QUOTE
>Demineralised water is highly aggressive and if untreated, its
>distribution through pipes and storage tanks would not be possible.
>The aggressive water attacks the water distribution piping and leaches
>metals and other materials from the pipes and associated plumbing
>materials.
>Preliminary evidence was available that some substances present in
>water could have beneficial effects on human health as well as adverse
>effects...
> END QUOTE

and later in the paper:

>BEGIN QUOTE
>The possible health consequences of low mineral content water
>consumption are discussed in the following categories:
>
>Direct effects on the intestinal mucous membrane, metabolism and
>mineral homeostasis or other body functions.
>
>Practically zero calcium and magnesium intake.
>
>Low intake of other essential elements and microelements.
>
>Loss of calcium, magnesium and other essential elements in prepared
>food.
>
>Possible increased dietary intake of toxic metals leached from water
>pipe.
>
>Possible bacterial re-growth.
>END QUOTE

So, now to the sections that relate to the second list:

BEGIN QUOTED SECTIONS which are trimmed and which contain my own words
in brackets to avoid copyright violations. Please refer to original.

> [...]
>microelements was associated with up to six- fold differences in
>their content in muscular tissue.
>Furthermore, a negative effect on the blood formation process was
>found to be associated with non-supplemented demineralised water...
>as much as 19% lower in the animals that received non-supplemented
>demineralised water compared to that in animals given tap water.
>Recent epidemiological studies of an ecologic design among Russian
>populations supplied with water varying in TDS suggest that low-
>mineral drinking water may be a risk factor for hypertension and
>coronary heart disease, gastric and duodenal ulcers, chronic
>gastritis, goitre, pregnancy complications and several complications
>in newborns and infants, including jaundice, anemia, fractures and
>growth disorders (Mudryi 1999).
>The population of the area supplied with water lower in minerals
>showed higher incidence rates of goiter, hypertension, ischemic heart
>disease, gastric and duodenal ulcers, chronic gastritis, cholecystitis
>and nephritis. Children living in this area exhibited slower physical
>development and more growth abnormalities, pregnant women suffered
>more frequently from edema and anemia. Newborns of this area showed
>higher morbidity.
>When used for cooking, soft water was found to cause substantial
>losses of all essential elements from food (vegetables, meat,
>cereals). Such losses may reach up to 60 % for magnesium and calcium
>or even more for some other microelements (e.g., copper 66 %,
>manganese 70 %, cobalt 86 %). In contrast, when hard water is used for
>cooking, the loss of these elements is much lower, and in some cases,
>an even higher calcium content was reported in food as a result of
>cooking (WHO 1978; Haring and Van Delft 1981; Oh et al. 1986; Durlach
>1988).
>Low-mineralized water is unstable and therefore, highly aggressive to
>materials with which it comes into contact. Such water more readily
>absorbs metals and some organic substances from pipes, coatings,
>storage tanks and containers, hose lines and fittings, being incapable
>of forming low- absorbable complexes with some toxic substances and
>thus reducing their negative effects
>Calcium and, to a lesser extent, magnesium in water and food are known
>to have antitoxic activity. They can help prevent the absorption of
>some toxic elements such as lead and cadmium from the intestine into
>the blood, either via direct reaction leading to formation of an
>unabsorbable compound or via competition for binding sites (Thompson
>1970; Levander 1977; Oehme 1979; Hopps and Feder 1986; Nadeenko et al.
>1987; Durlach et al. 1989; Plitman et al. 1989).
>The Czech National Institute of Public Health (NIPH, 2003) in Prague
>has tested the safety of products intended for contact with drinking
>water and found that the pressure tanks of the reverse osmosis units

END QUOTED SECTIONS but there is a LOT more in there.