From:
Unforgiven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 20:08:26 -0500
>FERRETAILS wrote of how the Petco and Petsmart stores in her area did not
>display her flyers and were rude, also.  What a shame!  Still, I am hoping
that this was only a bad experience with those particular branches of those
stores.  When I took flyers for my lost ferrets to the three stores in my
area, Petco, Pet Supplies Plus, and a large local family owned shop, all
three were very kind.  I saw my flyer posted prominently in all three
stores r weeks afterward.  By all means, people in Seattle may wish to
boycott the stores in FERRETAILS note.  But I just wanted to stick up for ...

Ummm...no.  That would be rather fanatical and wouldn't do much good for
dispelling the myth that all ferret owners tend to be eccentric.  Putting
those flyers up for the shows at petstores would be the equivalent of going
to Circuit City and putting up flyers about an electronics show where
they're selling everything at rockbottom prices.  Granted it may not be
true, but people are still going to see it, consider whether or no to buy
whatever they were going to today if it can wait, and then possibly buy it
(or something else) at the show instead of at the store.  For a lost ferret
though, if they refused something like *that*, then that *would* be rude and
inconsiderate.

>stores in West Hartford, CT.  My guess is there are good guys and bad guys
>in any store, anywhere, and it doesn't matter what the name is on the
>marquis.

This is true...the Petcos in my area (2 of them within 15 minutes or so)
take very good care of the li'l fuzzybutts.  This might be because they sell
*alot* of them (the manager told me usually at least 8 a week), but
regardless, they have a decent sized glass (yes, glass...it prevents people
from poking them) octagonal pen w/ a ferrettrails ball to sleep in, as well
as a hammock and some random thing that they like to climb in.  The top is a
thick-metal cage that can either be lifted off entirely or just opened
slightly to look in.  The other one keeps less ferrets on hand, but they
have an equivalent amount of sleeping quarters if not more, and they have a
fun tunnel... they feed them catfood, but then again, they're usually not
there very long...and I've seen different members of the staff occasionally
taking them out to play with them.

Rossi and the Master Mustelid Escape Artist

Kenda - "When in doubt, climb your way out!  Hey...what're you doin' with
that nail clipper?"