From:
Minta Ruark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 14:02:35 -0700
I wanted to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my financial
dilemma.  I tried to answer everyone but I know I missed some people.

Some of you may remember a post about a 5 1/2month old ferret who died from
descenting surgery; that was my ferret, about two years ago.  I still feel
guilty about taking him to the vet that I did, I should have taken him
elsewhere.  The point to bringing that up is that I strongly feel that vet
care is part and parcel of caring for animals.  If you adopt an animal you
have to follow through with what the animal needs, at least you have to
accept that as part of pet ownership.  I know that if Martin and Sybil
needed surgery I would give it to them if I could.  I also know that if I
couldn't I would regret it for quite some time.  It's hard to put yourself
in that dilemma--or keep yourself there, for lack of a better way to put
it--when you know that you want to provide for your ferrets but you also
know you haven't recovered from previous vet care.  (I apologize if that
didn't make sense)

Anyway thanks to everyone's concerns.  And, FYI, some people had expressed
concern about the price of Linus' & Zooey's surgeries--the price I quoted
included $300 in lab tests that weren't necessary (neither I nor the vet
was knowledgable enough, first adrenal for me--Linus hadn't lost any hair
yet), G.I.  biopsies for both of them, Zooey's was adrenal & insulinoma,
and Linus' adrenal was a right side so that cost more.  Whew!

Minta
(&Zooey, Martin, Linus & sybil)