From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:44:09 -0500
Hello,

I read today's digest with much attention to issues I'd never considered
before.  I have only owned ferrets for around a year, and I see that very
important issues are addressed in these posts: those of how and whether
we might be 'reinforcing' or somehow encouraging the practice of breeding
ferrets for certain traits or colors to the detriment of their health or
wellbeing.  I see where it was respectfully discussed with a breeder, who
appears concerned and responsible.

My question is, where does that place us as potential owners of ferrets?
Are we unwittingly encouraging this practice, by demand?  Yes, all
ferrets are to be loved, but are there general guidelines for us in
choosing ferrets that will help us to discourage these irresponsible
breeding practices?  This question is extremely difficult to express,
as caught in the middle are so many ferrets who were bred badly through
no fault of their own.  However, I don't believe that enlightening some
of us will stop all purchase of certain ferrets.  I would like to be
part of the solution in this situation on an individual, though likely
insignificant, way.

Thank you for the information.

Gail