Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 11:02:03 -0000
>Why have a ferret, or ferrets as is usually the case, as pets if you keep
>them outside all the time?  True, their ancestors lived outdoors in
>marginal shelters, but so did our human ancestors.  We're domesticated,
>so are the ferrets.
>
>Ferrets thrive on interaction with humans.  An occasional visit to an
>outside shelter can hardly be classified as interaction.  Bring them
>indoors!  You'll be amazed at what wonderful houseguests they make.

I must admit that I missed the start of this debate, my other half has just
been admitted to hospital and I've sort of been more concerned with that
than reading the FML.

I only wish I had room to keep my ferrets outdoors, I would love them to
have proper daylight instead of artificial light, fresh air etc.  I wonder
if the adrenal problems encountered with indoor ferrets could be resolved
if the ferrets led a more "natural" existence i.e. their body clocks were
controlled by the seasons instead of having their systems controlled by
electric lighting and central heating.  Just a thought!

I actually try to keep my ferrets to normal daylight hours but it can be
tricky as their room is between the living room and kitchen and they get
light spill from the kitchen.  I also find that trying to let them have
their normal playtimes can get awkward as the days get shorter, just not
enough daylight hours.

BTW we don't have central heating, and if we did they ferrets wouldn't have
any in their pad!

One real big difference between indoor and outdoor ferrets is the coat, the
outdoor ones have really thick, warm coats compared to ferrets that live
inside.

A good friend of mine has around 60 ferrets that all live outside, however,
she doesn't just pay the occasional visit to her ferrets.  Mary has a rota
and all the ferret groups have a playtime in the car port and into the
house via a catflap - they have full access to all the house.

Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare & Editor of The National Ferret Welfare Society.
Web Site: www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm  last update 3 Nov 1998
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge: Jill, Deanna Troy, Cameron, Carnath and Button.