From:
"Jill A. Kaszynski" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 21:47:25 EST
first of all, thanks to all of you who answered my plea for help!  I really
appreciated hearing from people...

Monday morning I decided Damien looked sick, so I brought him into the vet
also. He was dehydrated. The vet taught me how to do subcutaneous fluid
injections so I kept Damien with me and also brought home Baby. Celeste does
not seem to have been affected.

I'm giving all three Albon in case they have Coccidiosis, and I'm giving
Amoxicillin to Damien and Baby to prevent secondary infection. Dr. Williams and
my vets both seemed to think that Coccidiosis was likely. So now I'm giving
Baby fluids twice a day, and Damien fluids just once a day since he looks so
good now. Damien's eating his own Iams kibbles now and when he seems back to
normal strengthwise I'll stop his fluids.

When Baby first came back home after 3 days in the hospital he seemed really
dazed and when he tried to move he completely dragged his rear end since he was
so week. But now I've been forcefeeding him Modified Duck Soup for two days and
now he pretty much uses all four legs to get around but he's very wobbly. He's
also painfully thin!! his spine juts out. in fact all his bones jut out.
However he's been crawling all over my room today so I think he's feeling
better.

The pet store just called me this evening. The said they had the results of
Ulysses' (the new one from the pet store) autopsy.  He had had a tumor in his
spleen and parvo.  I'm not sure whether these results are from Dr. Williams or
the other place they sent tissue samples to. I'll talk to my vet tomorrow
morning and find out more details. so if this assessment is correct, then I
assume that Baby has (had?) parvo. What exactly is parvo? i didn't think
ferrets got it.  i would appreciate any info on this that you people can give
me.

the manager of the pet store also seemed concerned about my other ferrets. she
seems pretty cool so hopefully this will work out okay.

so now i'm just trying to put food into Baby and increase his strength.  if you
have any advice for me please write or call me! i'll keep you all updated on my
situation...

thanks again,
jill
(603-643-8709)