Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 22:58:01 -0600
Okay, I needed to brag that I finally made my first batch of Bob's Chicken
Gravy!  I had put it off for so long after reading some horror stories of
bones all over the kitchen, etc.  For those of you who have never made it,
I wanted to share: someone said to make friends with your butcher.  I went
to Wal Mart and gave the butcher my sweetest smile.  No roasters in until
holidays (Easter?), but he ordered an entire case just because I needed one
chicken.  When they arrived, three different meat employees whacked away on
the following: one-half of the roaster saved for me to cook for husband and
son.  (Cut down the middle) .  I was scared to do a whole roaster for one
little fuzzbut, because I was still intimidated, and was sure I would screw
it up somehow.  This was to be a test.

The half for Fang was chopped by the saw into little pieces (looked like
pork for green chili)...bones, skin, and all.  Nicely wrapped in separate
package.  (I pictured them throwing this mess in a plastic bag).  Item
number 3: a third package, neatly wrapped, of just little cubes of extra
fat, as the recipe suggests.  Cut into neat little squares, all the same
size.  Then, all three packages were neatly wrapped into one big one.  I'm
telling you it was just like Christmas!  This is the only way to go; make
winkies at your butcher and later, bring him cookies.  My cookies will be
delivered tomorrow.

Others who wrote in warning us to put enough water in the blender weren't
kidding.  First, I used my grandmother's old fashioned grinder that I
haven't used in five years.  Husband ground; then we dumped it into the
blender to puree.  I was hovering, afraid too much water would dilute the
necessary good stuff, but husband said it wasn't enough, and it was hard on
the motor.  I won, we dumped it into the pot to cook, and it was depressing
to look again and see a hamburger- chili-resembling affair.  Husband was
right; we dumped it back into the blender , added more water, and when we
were done it looked as good as if Bob C had done it himself.  Back to the
stove to finish cooking; added the other stuff (cut WAY down on the
Ferretvite due to insulinoma), and husband said it looked better than some
of the things I cook for him to eat.

We did the ice cube tray thing.  Those new bright blue rubbermaid ones are
cool, and come three to a package for only $1.39.  Thank you to all who
have written in to the FML with different comments about making this stuff,
b/c some of us need exact directions; I can't cook with *a little bit of
this* and a *half a dash of that *.  Troy Lynn is the Betty Crocker of
Ferretdom, she sends a regular cookbook.  If you are really intimidated by
this recipe, write to her and she will pump you up.

I haven't read the last few FMLs, so I hope I am not being rude by not
commenting on anything that I should have...just wanted to share, and
celebrate that it's over.  (my dreaded first batch).  I really think
everyone should make this stuff.  Fang tried it (he had already eaten a
saucer of Gerber's Chicken Gravy 20 minutes prior); he ate an entire saucer
full, and after smacking his lips, went back in the drawer.  I heard him
say a thank you prayer to Bob C before he nodded off for ferret dreams.
This is good news, as he hates his NEW Iams (yuk to the corn), and is a
bit of a snot about trying any new kibble.

Bob C. wasn't lost; just had to hurry home, and missed some of us due to
the fact that he talks too much at each stop, and ran out of time.  He is
going to ride one of our horses into the hills when he comes next summer.
Hmmm, should be interesting, as I am planning on taking him into mountain
lion country.

Happy Tails,
lizzi in Colorado (it snowed yesterday, and it had been up to 60 degrees
the day before!)