From:
"Reed, Melinda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 09:43:47 -0500
After reading all the post regarding what people think a ferret is when they
see one, I had to post this.  I've had lots of teasing from my co-workers
regarding my four futtbutts - - anywhere from rats, weasels, you name it.  I
think they know I get a little excited about a ferret being called anything
but what they are, so I just go along.  Anyhow, last night I was talking to
my mother on the telephone.  She knows how I feel about my fuzzies and I am
always talking about something they have done.  She ask me, "Do you let
"those" ferrets run around loose at night".  My response was no, they are
caged at night.  She then proceeded to tell me that was good that they were
caged, that I may never know when one might attack me or my daughter in the
middle of the night when we were sleeping.  She said, "they might bite your
neck".  WHAT!!!!!!  My mother said this about my sweet, lovable, kissy
ferrets.  I told her then and there that I was so disappointed that she was
so narrow minded.  That I would not ever hesitate to sleep with my ferrets,
and I would trust them more than any dog or cat.  I can't believe she gave
birth to me sometimes.  I have thought about this and thought I would share
my disappointment with fellow FMLers that some people, (even my mother) have
no idea what wonderful animals these are.  Gosh, mine get hugged and kissed
every morning when I awake, hugged and kissed when I get home, hugged and
kissed at night and at various times when I feel the urge for a fuzzy love.
I take my whole face and nuzzle them, never hesitating that they might bite
me.  Maybe she needs to live with a ferret for awhile to know what they are
like.  The whole world (and especially the California legislature) needs to
be around a fuzzy for a day or so to know they are wonderful.  I still love
my mom though, I only wish she could share my happiness and what my fuzzies
have given me - - complete and honest unconditional love.

Mindy
Whiskers, Tiny, Tigger, and Cocoa

(P.S.  Brian Hall - - are you still out there???  I always enjoy your
post and haven't seen one from you lately.)