Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2008 04:43:24 +0000
Someone Loved Me for an Hour

I heard the lady that owns us make a call today. I cold barely lift
my head, but I thought I heard her say that she was moving and wasn't
taking us. I should have been sad but I was glad. I have been holding
on for my brother and sister, they are younger than me and I always
have looked out for them.

We went somewhere that evening, packed us up in a cat carrier, it was a
short ride. I was so tired and layed in the back so they could see out
of the front where we were going. The lady who owned us stayed in the
car and her boyfriend brought us inside. I could smell other ferrets
and heard the sweetest voice as the nice lady gently picked me up. She
caught her breath and I thought oh no, she doesn't want me either. I
used to look so nice, fluffy and fat but I haven't felt well and it's
been almost two weeks since I ate very well. He explained that she was
too embarrased to come inside the house. I closed my eyes for a minute,
I was so tired. She hugged me, wrapped me in a nice soft baby blanket
and told me what a good boy I was, that she loved me already and would
help me. It was nice against her shoulder, she didn't mind how I looked
or that I had fleas, she hugged me anyways and kissed my boney little
head. She have me a drink but not by my mouth and put a yummy treat on
my lips. I really tried to lick it but she told me that was ok.

We went on another little ride and the nice lady told me over and over
what a special boy I was and promised to get my little brother and
sister and take very good care of them. Then I met a nice doctor, it
was the only time I had ever seen one. I got to rest a bit in my nice
blanket in a warm place. The nice lady kept checking on me to ensure I
was comfortable and warm and to let me know that I was not alone.

I was tired and rested a bit, then the nice lady who said she'd be my
mommy brought another nice lady who said she'd be my auntie told me my
brother and sister were safe. I was so tired and knew that my job of
protecting my little brother and sister was done.

I felt so lucky as I went to sleep, Someone Loved Me For An Hour.

I never really had another name it was only "Ferret" so my new mommy
said I was so special I could be "Mr. Ferret".

I have wings now .........

(We only had Mr. Ferret for an hour but we loved him a whole lifetime
in that hour, we loved him enough to let him go and saved his brother
and sister).

Diane Wall
South Shore Ferret Care