From:
Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 09:46:48 -0400
>From:    Billy Madsen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Is my ferret sick?
>Today I saw my ferret had green diaharea, and blood came from her behind
>went she went to the bathroom.  She is neutered and descented.  She is
>about 8 weeks, and came from Marshall Farms(heard many bad things about
>this place).  Please help.  Thanks

I saw your post on the FML.  Green diarreah can be a sign of stress (new
home) or other gastrointestinal problems from the virus ECE to a bacterial
infection.  Only a vet can tell you for sure.  Get her to a vet.

Go to www.ferretcentral.org and download the ECE faq.  It doesn't matter
if the ferret does onr does not have ECE the support care in there is
necessary for any sick ferret until you hear from the ver.

Minimal support care is:
1 tablet Pepcid AC crushed and mixed with 10 cc of water.  Using an eye
dropper or syringe, give the ferret 1cc 2x daily.(This will reduce acid
formation and help prevent upset tummy and potential for ulcer.s)
1 talbet of Immodium AD, curshed and mixed with 10 cc of water, give
1cc 2x in one day and repeat 2 days later.  (This will stop diarreah
dead in its tracks)

You can use peptobismal in place of immodium ad, but most ferrets hate the
taste and will spit it out, leaving you to wonder how much got into the
ferret and how much you and the ferret are wearing.  (Think pink)

I can send you Tylan, which is a drug that is used to treat diarreah in
dogs, cats and ferrets.  Send me your mailing address.

If it is a viral infection, then the vet will probably prescribe an
antibiotic to prevent secondary infections that can occur when a ferret
is ill.  If it is bacterial the vet will prescribe something else.

Make sure the ferret has lots of water, a water dish is best.  You don't
want to let your baby get dehydrated.  Pedialyte is better.

If you ferret stops eating you'll need to make up a ferret mush called Duck
Soup (named after the ferret who survived on it.)  Crsuh or run the ferret's
kibble through a blender of food processor.  Then mix with either water,
pedialyte, or the best choice is a vanilla flavored Boost or Ensure.  Keep
adding liquid and mix in the blender until the mixutre is liquid enough to
be put intoa syrynge or eye dropper.

Email me with any questions after you read the ece faq from ferret central.

KG