From:
"R. Worthing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 06:54:45 -0500
It becomes rather tiresome to hear the endless drivel of people complaining
about others turning in their ferrets ("abandon" is the term more frequently
used).

EVERYTHING in life is a balance.  There are givers and takers, losers and
winners, builders and destroyers, talkers and doers.  It takes one to make
the other work.  Sadly, even in the animal "business" it takes people
willing to give up their animals if there are to be people who are going to
operate shelters... and vice versa.  If it is your heart's desire and only
passion to shelter abandoned and/or abused/neglected animals, then where
would these animals come from if not from people who "developed allergies",
"had to move", "were having a baby", or "couldn't stand the smell anymore"?
I guess what I am saying is, if you are going to be in the business of
operating a shelter, then it should be accepted that you are going to hear
stories that make you angry... it comes with the territory.

People that work in social services witness horrendous cases of child abuse
and neglect.  It's part of the job.  People that work in trauma centers
look death right in the face... often times self inflicted pain from drunk
driving accidents and you can bet they feel angry when they see an innocent
victim of such a case.  It comes with the territory.  People that work in
veterinary hospitals see animals that are abused or injured.... again, part
of the job.  As a matter of fact, that is why *I* decided not to go into
veterninary medicine.  I couldn't bear to see injured animals... even if I
could help them.

Yes, when I get an animal, it is a life-long commitment... barring
unforeseeable circumstances that would change our priorities.  The moment
I can no longer provide food for them or my family, the instant I feel my
human children's health is in danger, the second we are faced with serious
financial devastation,.... well, then.... the animals must go where at
least THEY can have a second chance.

Two of my ferrets came from a home where the owner had them for only 6
months before she decided she wasn't a "ferret person".  That's okay.  I am
not a "dog person".  Her loss was my gain.

The point is, everything has a balance.  There are those of you that
shelter the unwanted ferrets (thank god for you) and there are the people
who turn them in for whatever reason.  (Thank god they have the sense to
turn them in rather than neglect them or abuse them or turn them loose).
If they didn't turn them in, then you wouldn't be able to fulfill your
hearts passion.  If animals didn't get sick, vets wouldn't have a job.
If people didnt' have accidents, hospital workers would have no job.  If
people didnt' abuse and neglect children, social service workers wouldn't
have a job.  Do you see my point?  This list goes on and on.  When you make
a choice to do something, you must accept the bad stuff that goes along
with the job.  Even if it's something you do as a side job or volunteer
at.... no matter what, you get the good with the bad.

Renee