From:
Bobbi McCanse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 13:19:52 -0600
Like CJ and other shelter people we get desperate calls for rescue.  They
usually come at night or on weekends.  The latest one was from a pair of
sisters whose 5 yr. old albino male was crying and had a swollen abdomen.
He had also gotten out and had an encounter with a neighbor's dog.  I told
them to get to a vet immediately, gave them numbers to call, but they were
weeping and said that they had $18 left of their disability check last
to the end of the month.  They had called a number of vets and were told
by most of them that they didn't treat ferrets and that care would be
expensive.  Our favorite vet was out of town (in Las Vegas for a vet
conference) so I finally told them to bring him to me and we would see
what could be done.  Another vet we had frequently used is apparently
getting burned out, has a dying mother, and surprised me by flat out
refusing to wait for us to bring him in.  Fortunately I found a vet,
Dr. Nash, we had consulted with from time to time by phone.  His office
hours are reasonably late (this was a Friday night).

Indeed the little ferret boy had bladder stones and an obstructed urethra.
Dr. Nash was able to catheterize him, removed several crystalline stones
under anesthesia, and did the usual urinary and blood testing.  Total bill
was under $200 and he sent us home with antibiotics and instructions on
how to catheterize, or to insert a needle directly into the bladder, if
he continued to be obstructed.  Although I am a nurse I was not looking
forward to having to try to do either of these procedures.  We kept a
very close eye on "Powder" until he urinated and pooped in superb ferret
fashion.

As a rule I get very angry about people who take on ferrets and then can't
seem to find the resources to provide proper veterinary care.  It does
no good to lecture or scold however and in cases such as this I require,
or strongly request, that the ferret be surrendered to us with the
understanding that we will provide care and make all medical decisions.
Powder's family called every day and came to visit him twice, they even
scrubbed the shelter floor, and in the end I decided that he was better
off at home with them.  They signed a foster agreement that makes them
responsible for routine care and we retain responsibility for
extraordinary care such as surgeries.  We continue to make all medical
decisions.  They are administering the antibiotics and providing, with
our help, an appropriate diet.

As the weather gets warmer we are getting a number of calls about found
ferrets.  The last two were in pretty good shape and apparently smart
enough to quickly find the right people.  People who find ferrets often
have cats whose outside bedding and/or food is attractive.  The ferret
shows up on the front porch asking to come in and I get a call.  One deaf
woman communicated with me via the relay operator and was prepared to take
a taxi from Bonner Springs (many miles from our shelter in midtown KC) to
bring him in.  So, for the moment, my faith in people is restored,
although the vet who refused to see us is still on my *&%$ list.

Your thoughts on how best to deal with such situations are welcome.  And,
of course, if you need another ferret or two let me know.

Bobbi McC. Shelter Directress and Benign Despot <+:-)