From:
Rick White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2006 11:16:09 EDT
From:   Jodi Finuf <[log in to unmask]>

I think alot of people ask an adoption fee because they think if someone
is willing to pay money for a pet,this means they really want to give
them a good home.If it were me,after I found what I would hope was
honest caring people,I would drop the adoption fee.I hope someone
loving and knowledgable goes to rescue those kids today.

This is partially correct.  The Primary Goal is to place healthy, well
socialized ferrets into loving and caring forever homes.  The adoption
fee charged by Rescue organizations like ours (SAFE) and others, cover
only the cost of Vaccinations (3 CDV + Rabies) and Tests (ADV, Fecal and
Heartworm).  The cost of any needed Medical and Surgical care of these
rescued ferrets fall on the shoulders of the Rescue Organizations and
their supporters.

On the subject of rescue costs; It takes a lot of money to operate any
animal rescue service.  If you have a local ferret rescue in your area,
support them with a few hours of your time and/or a few dollars if
possible.  If no ferret rescue is in your area, check out any number of
ferret rescues listed with SOS and help them with any funds or products
they need.  Please keep your donations in your local area if possible.
Rescuers get no salary.  I do not know of any ferret rescue group that
has even one salaried employee.  Most rescuers buy much of their needed
supplies from their own pockets when the rescue checkbook runs low or
empty.  Think of this; Every ferret rescue listed with SOS could be
totally funded with the salary of just the President of HSUS!
$240,000.00 would help a lot of ferrets.