From:
Sterling Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 23:20:13 +-1200
I have been taking this all in for a few days and once again I want to reel
you back in on this Marshall Farms issue.  Now we are bickering about
whether or not Marshall Farms will change its practices if it means reduced
profits.

I dont think Marshall Farms would bankrupt itself in the process of changing
its practices.  No one is asking for a complete renovation of the way they
do business.  We are asking that the curtail their practices that are a
little less than palatable and unnecessary.  There has been some concern
about adopting out retired breeders and cutting into profit.  There will
always be a demand for ferret kits.  Some people want babies.  I dont think
the real issue is market flooding.  If this new adoption practice means I
have to pay 500 dollars for a ferret at the pet store- so be it.  It will
keep more people from buying ferrets as impulse items.  Ferrets shouldnt be
impulse pets anyway.  They are small infantile people and they require that
kind of care.  They arent overpriced hamsters.

        But I digress:  My point is, we demand certain practices in corporations
to insure our well being.  We are within our right to ask the same thing
for our pets.  We dont let adoption agencies put children to sleep by the
millions when they arent cost effective. But we do let our shelters and
other organizations do that to unwanted animals. We all know animals to
date dont have the same rights as people (maybe because they dont protest
as loudly). This doesnt mean, however, that animals mills should do
whatever they see fit. But this is not just an animal rights argument.  If
you dont agree with me from a humanitarian stand point then let me
translate that into dollars and cents.   Accountability is a good business
practice it breeds loyalty. Making half your market mad is not.  Ferrets
and their people form a tight bond.  It makes us concerned about our own
fuzzbutts and those fuzzbutts who dont have human families or advocates.  I
want accountability in businesses that get my money.  I imagine alot of
other people feel that way too.  Accountablity means more than not supplying
me with a defective product.  (Which by the way still hasnt been proven
either way) If all of us ferret lovers who would like accountability from
our supplier walked away from Marshall Farms we could make a pretty large
dent in their market.  I am not suggesting that we all do that.  What I am
suggesting is that there are many things to consider when looking at the
bottom line.  There is always a next year.  Next year you might need my
business too!

Sterling