From:
"Ilena E. Ayala" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 10:26:35 -0500
"PC" -Sorry you lost your little one. :-(

>ALKP 177  IU
>ALT   68  IU
>BUN   20.8  MG/DL
>CREA  00.0  MG/DL
>GLU  296.9  MG/DL
>TP     5.83  G/DL

I'm not going to comment much on what normal values for ferrets are as that
is outside my area of expertise.

If anyone does have a list of 'normal' values for ferrets, maybe they could
post it here.  It might be a good thing to print out and put in with the
emergency info in case the vet you rush to in the off hours isn't completely
up on ferrets.

There is more of an explanation on some of the blood values in the ferret
FAQ part 5 section 12.  To get a copy, send email to
[log in to unmask] with
GET ANSWERS PART5 FERRET
as the text of the message.

ALKP is Alkaline phosphatese, a liver enzyme.  Higher than normal indicates
abnormal liver function.

ALT -??? I couldn't find this one.

BUN - Blood Urea Nitrogen - indicator of kidney function.  If high, the
kidneys aren't filtering waste properly.  Urea is the form of nitrogenous
waste formed by our bodies, it's normally excreted in the urine.  Can be
affected by protein intake.

Worth noting; according to the reference I used (_Outline_of
Veterinary_Clinical_Pathology_, third edition 1978-it's old), kidney
function tests only show up as abnormal when there is SEVERE kidney disease.
We are talking 50% of the nephrons not working properly for detection.  This
is because the kidneys have a large reserve capacity-a lot of damage can
occur and the animal can still filter blood normally.

CREA - Createnine formed in the metabolism of muscle creatine and
phosphocreatine, NOT affected by protein intake, age, sex, exercise or
protein catabolism, along with the BUN value used as an indicator of kidney
function.  (Catabolism is self destructive, like a malnurished animal
breaking down muscle tissue to get protein for metabolic purposes.)

GLU - glucose levels, a measure of blood sugar.  The FAQ states "A
non-fasted blood glucose test might give values up to 207mg/dl, depending
on when the ferret last ate."

TP - total protein in blood.  Depending on which proteins are high/low this
can be an indicator of a number of things, including, but not limited to
infections, liver disease, malnutrition, blood loss.  .  Normal values for
dogs ranged from 3.32 to 7.7g/dl and appear to be age related; puppies under
12 weeks have lower values than older puppies or adults.

-Ilena Ayala