From:
Mike Davison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1993 07:50:29 -0400
I don't know if you remember me posting a couple of weeks ago regarding
one of our furries being diagnosed as having insulinoma, but just
wanted to update the story.

We took Peanut in to be diagnosed as she was wasting away to nothing.
He said she had extremely low blood pressure, one of the numbers was 40
when it should have been at least 80.  He gave us the two "P" medicines
told us what our options were and sent us home.

We gave her the medicines (not as much as we were supposed to) and
fattened her up (Does anybody else have a ferret that WON'T eat Nutrical?
the vet was really surprised at that.  In fact it's only been within
the last year that she will lick Linatone!).

Last Friday we took her in to have the nodule in the pancreas removed.
The doc said it was extremely small, but also removed the tumor in her
left adrenal gland.  Evidently the right one looked o.k. as well as all
of her other vitals.  He sent the tissue off to be analyzed ($30! I told
him about Bruce's service, but forgot to take the address with me - sorry,
but we have to go back next week. . .) so hopefully we will hear about
that soon, and perhaps it won't be bad.

What happens if they have to remove both adrenal glands?  Can they survive
well without them?

Also, the vet thought it was "nuts" to not feed the ferret for 48 hours
to prevent them from getting pancreatitis.  He said he's never had a case
develop due to this in the 50+ surgeries that he's done.  They fed her
the evening of the surgery.

Anyhow, thanks for all your help!

Michelle