From:
Sharon Burbine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 19:51:37 -0500
Okay all you fellow ferreters, I have a funny but odd story to share.

Wolfie my 9 month old, Chocolate Angora was neutered and "descented" when I
got him as a baby.

The other evening, Wolfie was doing his best to aggrevate my cat Logan.
Logan is 9 years old and has had diabetes for the past 5 years.  Both of my
cats, Maia and Logan, are good natured and have been very good with all of
my ferrets.  But, as we all know, sometimes the ferrets can aggrevate the
even the most mild mannered kitty.

This particular evening, Logan was sleeping on the couch and Wolfie started
doing his, jumping up, tagging and taking off game with Logan.  Well, after
about 4 times of Wolfie aggrevating Logan and tantalizing him, Logan took a
swipe at Wolfie.  He doesn't claw him, he just swipes and whacks him when
he's had enough.

Well, the expression on Wolfie's face told it all!  His tail puffed out and
I caught the faint smell of Anal Glands!!!  I picked up my fuzzbutt and sure
enough, Wolfie had expressed his "non-existant" anal glands.  Very quickly
the smell dissapated, but it did surprise me.

I've had incidences where the others have had spats or have even "barked",
which should have induced anal gland expression on an intact animal, but,
because they've all had theirs removed, have had no problems.  In fact,
Sheba my little precious rescue babe for months, would do nothing but scream
when she saw another ferret.  Sheba is now only accepting Amber Rose and
Wolfie as playmates but thats another story.

The question I have is that although all my ferrets have had their anal
glands removed, is it possible that a small part of the gland could be left
in Wolfie?  Or, is it just that perhaps he wasn't done?  Is it possible for
the glands to grow back?  Has anyone else on the list ever experienced this?

Sharon Burbine &
Chi Chi, Lebby, Amber Rose, Sheba and the stinkybutt, Wolfie