From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 1995 09:47:00 CST
Shedding Study Info-
First, the shedding study is being conducted at CDC Headquarters in
Atlanta, GA not at KSU Vet Med.  Dr. Briggs was trying to raise funds to
do the study here but before the study began it was decided it should be
done at CDC where the "experts" are.  So the actual study is being
conducted at CDC.  Dr. Briggs tried several avenues for funding, one of
which was NIH, without success.  If NIH does not believe the study is
important enough to provide funding for the shedding study then what
does that mean?  Does it mean it isn't a big enough problem that they
consider it an important health issue?  I won't go into it here but I've
read about some of the studies NIH funds, and  quite frankly, I cannot
understand their relevance to human health.  Perhaps it is all in the
wording of the proposal.  Working in a research field, I'm familiar
with the word-play issues.  From what I understand the funding for the
shedding studies is provided entirely by donations, not grants.

My comment was made about not holding our breath because with the budget
cuts there may not be personnel to conduct the study for all the strains.
When I spoke with Dr. Rupprecht (CDC) this was one of his concerns.  As
the budget is cut so are personnel.  The work is not cut, only the number
of people to do it.  The work is distributed among those remaining and this
study is not a priority.  The other factor is funding.  The skunk strain,
which they are working on now, should be completed by the end of the year.
Will there be personnel and funding to continue?  If there is and it takes
1 year per study, that will be 5 years before they are completed.  Add
another year for the compendium changes and how many more before the
results are universally accepted.  (Similiar to the Michigan ferret that
was killed even though they are now legal in the state.) In the meantime,
our beloved ferrets are in danger and we live in fear for their lives.

hugs.  tle