From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 1996 06:55:12 -0500
TO Katie:

RJ is a 5 yr old dark-eye white I've had since he was 3 weeks.  His mom was
not a good mother and ate most of her litter, and the breeder "did not have
time" to handraise the survivors.  I took the 4 babies and raised them
myself.

The vet I was using at the time said "ferrets are like cats" and decided
that since their eyes hadn't opened at 3 weeks, it was time to pop them
open.  Since then, I have learned that ferret babies normally open their
eyes around 28 days of age.

RJ developed an eye infection, one pupil became permanently fixed and
dilated, and the eyeball began to bulge.  At 6 wks, he had the eye removed
and the lids were sewn shut.

He does absolutely fine!  He has no problem getting around the house with
only one eye, he doesn't bump into anything, in fact he acts just like a
normal ferret.  He responds to his name, so if he's not in the "right"
position when you call him, he may tilt his head to look at you.  Many
people think he just keeps 1 eye closed.

I love this ferret to pieces - maybe because he had such a tough beginning,
but we have a special bond.

Don't worry if your ferret needs this surgery - I'm sure he'll do fine.

BTW - I have since changed vets.....

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY