From:
Veronica <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:11:54 -0800
...Yuki is deaf!  I have been lurking on the FML and there's been a lot
of talk about deaf ferrets.  It finally clicked like a heavy bat over
the head a few minutes ago that my Tama no Yuki can not hear.  Now I
understand SO much better why my albino beauty does the things she does.
I tested her with a pot and can opener over her sleeping bed.  The other
3 came running from seperate corners of the house to see what the noise
was all about...she stayed sound asleep...not a twitch or a flinch until
I gently touched her.

The other ferrets leave her completely alone at play time.  Since I got
her I always thought it was because she was an only ferret that she
wouldn't play.  This still may be true, but now I know her biting them
was not necessarily never knowing other ferrets, but because they would
pounce her like ferrets do and she was afraid of the surprise attacks.
She could not hear them coming and would scream bloody murder...the only
sound she's ever made.  In bed she is everyone's mother cleaning all ears
before bedtime.

I would like to be pointed in the direction of the deaf ferret list so I
may lurk there for awhile...:) (Wolfy?)

Veronica

WOW! I have had my eyes opened very wide.

 ,,
Paris-Henry County Humane Society  http://www.phchs.petfinder.org