From:
"Shelley R. Abare" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:48:28 -0500
I believe that spay/neuter at such an early age is not a good thing.
BUT, that said, I have this thought on the subject.  Dogs, cats, and
other "pet" animals are not routinely "fixed" before sale.  We have a
huge overpopulation problem with unwanted pets because owners won't spend
the money to fix their animals.  If we start adopting/purchasing un-fixed
ferrets, then I would expect that we would have two things happen very
quickly.  First, we would have a glut of cheap ferrets and "free to good
home" ferrets, so the pet stores could no longer charge $100 + per
ferret.  (Good thing) Next, we would have ferrets let loose to fend for
themselves when new owners find out that they can't get tons of money for
their babies.  (Bad thing).  Or lots of ferrets in shelters and pounds
will have tons of ferret kits, like puppies and kittens that will be put
to sleep.  (I really hate the euphemism).(Really bad thing).  So, given
the goods and bads of it, I think that early spay and neuter is probably
best, even if there is problems with it.

Shelley