From:
Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 00:54:18 -0700
I am currently boarding a ferret who is in pretty rough shape at the moment
and I'm not sure what I can do to help her out.

She is seven years old, bone thin and shaky as anything...she can barely get
in and out of her litterbox without help.  I noticed today she had orange
tearing around her eyes, so much of it that it has stained her face although
I have tried wiping her eyes down periodically.  Her nose was so clogged up
that I had to pull the mucus away with my fingers (sorry to be graphic).
She breathes fairly shallow and rapid and there is some blood around her
anal area.  Her litterbox doesn't leave much to the imagination.  I am hand
feeding her a mixture of Isomil and Chicken baby food from a syringe and
offering her as much water as possible.  I have given her some Pedialyte to
boost her strength a bit and every other day I give her a little bit of the
glucose her owner left me.

Is there anything else I can do for her?  I'm not sure I should rush her to
a vet, since not only is she not my animal, but I don't know what her normal
condition is like and if she was like this before she came in for boarding.
I have moved her into a heated room with a humidifier to take some of the
dryness out of the air, but beyond this I don't know what else I can do.
Her owner is in the US and won't be back for another week...she did say
about a year ago the vet only gave her a month to live and she's still with
us, so maybe she's been this terrible since then?  I really don't know what
else to do for her.  Any suggestions are really appreciated.

Thanks,

Sheena
Ferrets & Friends Club & Rescue E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
"dedicated to the preservation of the domestic ferret as a
 household pet", a no-kill, not-for-profit ferret facility.
For more information about the FFCR try our homepage:
< http://www.geopages.com/Colosseum/1575 >