From:
"Glenn, Jenni, BMG - NY1540" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 1998 15:53:22 -0500
"Mitchell, Tina" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I've been on the fml for awhile fully apreciating all the info and I'm
>glad to say I've finally gotten my Ferret... I wanted anyone's suggestions
>on training not to bite.  Even the biting at the feet.  Don't get me wrong
>the little one is very well behaved and isn't constantly trying to bite
>but when he does what exactly are some suggestions on what to do at that
>moment.

My Oso used to do that when I first got him.  He never bit me out of fear or
aggression, but he ran after me and chased my feet.  And if I tried to move
them out of his way, it only made it worse and he got all excited and tried
even harder to get to them.  He would nip me on my toes and the tops of my
feet.  It didn't really hurt (well, except for a couple times he got me
good! ; ) )  But, I really believe that he only wanted me to play with him
and he was treating me like he would treat another ferret playmate.  The
amazing thing is that when I rescued my two other little babies from a
shelter and brought them into the house, Oso stopped going after my
feet...and hasn't even tried it ONCE since the new additions joined the
family (and that's been a few months).  Now, I'm not saying to run out and
buy more ferrets, but I'm just trying to explain to you that he's probably
doing it to get your attention and to play with you.  I don't know how to
tell you to stop him from doing it, unless you reach down when he does it,
scruff him and tell him no.  That might work.  He might get the hint after
awhile.  Or when you sense that he edging closer to your feet and starts to
move in for the kill, say "NO!" and when he backs up or stops, give him a
treat... I did that with Oso for awhile and it worked a lot of the time.
Or, if it really bothers you, just wear shoes or slippers of some sort when
he's out playing and then you won't have to worry about his teeth breaking
your skin if he decides to chomp down... but don't let him chew on your
shoes just because you can't feel it, because then you'll never break him
of the habit!

Jenni
Oso, Ozzy and Zep  "dook, dook, dook"  : )