Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:10:27 -0700
OK everyone . . . . it's Miss Phoebe "acting up" AGAIN (I know, I know -
AGAIN?) I just introduced the diazoxide (.10mL 2x/day) to her pred dose
(.40mL 2x/day) for her insulinoma and for a week she was doing GREAT!
Then, throughout past week, she's been acting "funny" and I'm wondering
if anyone might know, based on the following symptoms, what might be
causing this unsual behavior ...

It happens almost always after she's eaten.  She gets her soup (mixed
with prednisolone and diazoxide, for her insulinoma) and about 7-10 min.
after she's eaten, she'll starting running around very fast (unusual for
her) like she's desperately looking for a litterbox because she has to
pee (but she never uses a litterbox anyway so this IS strange).  She even
starts stumbling and falling over to one side like she's drunk and then
flattens out and begins acting like she's out of breath.  A few times she
looks like she has "hind end weekness" and sometimes when she eats, too,
she will "rock" ever so gently up and down - not from side to side but up
and down, like from nose to hind paws.

I'm seriously thinking that she could be having seizures of some sort,
due to unbalanced glucose levels, particularly when she doesn't seek out
her food and eat for long periods of time (over 6 hrs.).  But it's odd
that her erratic behavior happens AFTER she's eaten and she bounces back
very quickly after about 5 min.  of running around frantic.  She's then
back to her "normal" self and putzing around like nothing's happened.

I'm taking her in to her doctor on Saturday and he's saying he wants to
do so more in-depth blood work than what they normally do but I do not
know to what extent.  I was told by one of the more experienced vets
here that if you're goint to run a Tenn Panel, it's best to wait until
early fall (Aug./ Sept), when you can be certain the ferrets' hormones
(females) are back in check from Spring and Summer months, to get a more
accurate reading.

Anyone know the validity to this reasoning or have an suggestions about
what is causing Phoebe's erratic behavior?  Please feel free to
cross-post as you see fit.

Thanks in advance - Jennifer and the 3 Amigos  :-)