Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:49:32 -0700
I saw the request for help with a ferret biting/chewing at its incision
and thought I would share.

I had to have a tumor removed my Cyanne's (little did I know that it
was the beginning of her problems......) rear leg and my vet made an
Elizabethan Collar (I probably didn't spell that right, but it's the big
round collars you see on dogs to keep them from attacking their wounds)
for her to keep her from getting at the stitches.

He took an empty yogurt cup (standard, not Yoplait) and cleaned it out real
well.  He then made a whole in the bottom big enough for her head to go
through.  He used a good heavy tape to cushion the edges so they wouldn't
cut into neck (this means you may want to make the whole just a tad bigger,
but remember it needs to be snug enough so they can't pop it back off too
easily).  He then drilled two holes opposite each other in the bottom of
the cup and put two long strips of gauze through each.  You come under the
ferrets throat, cross under the front legs and back up to their back and
tie it off.  It will have to be a little snug, but no so much as to block
the airway.

It's not 100% fool proof, but can keep them from getting to the wounds.

Bless my little yogurt head she looked so funny wearing it and she wasn't
all that happy about it (yes, it will mean that you will have to keep the
food bowls a tad fuller than usual so they can eat, but they do manage).
It did manage to keep her from ripping out her stitches.

Thought I would share.  Good luck.

Lynn (Harley, Sneekers, Jake, Max and Tippy)
Missing:  Cyanne, Frostie, Annie, Tooley and Peanut