From:
Debra Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1993 19:27:00 -0400
Lauren--
      So you have a Laska too?  My most recent addition to the ferret family
is named Laska.  I chose the name because I understood it to mean "love" or
"I love you" in one of the Eskimo dialects (this from a lady I knew many
years ago who also had this name).  How interesting that it's also a Russian
word for weasel!  (Or that this poor woman went her whole life named after a
weasel without knowing it....)
        I'm sorry that you must find another home for your baby.  I don't
personally know any ferret owners in Wisconsin (I'm in Texas), but I'll post
your request to another service (NVN) and post any responses back to this
list.  I think of the folks on that BB, their is only one person anywhere in
 your direction, and that's in a suburb of Detroit, not exactly near Madison.
He also has 10 ferrets, and if your Laska truly dislikes other ferrets, that
wouldn't do!  Take heart over the apparent dislike of other ferrets-- though
there are ferrets who need to be "only ferrets", sometimes it's just that
the ferret has been away from other ferrets so long that it's a scary
experience for them.  My Pixie was terrified when we carried her along with
us to the shelter when we decided to get a second ferret.  We picked out a
boy that seemed to be the best tolerated as he made "let's get to know each
other" overtures.  So don't rule out a home with other ferrets already
installed.  Laska might adapt well given a little time!

                                Debra