From:
Teresa Knezek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:53:39 -0800
>From:    shron33 <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Which is better as far as cooking down the bones--a crock pot or a
>pressure cooker?

Based on my experience with both appliances, I'd say a pressure cooker
would do a much better job of softening the bones during cooking, would
take a lot less time to do it, and can be had much cheaper than a large
enough electric crock-pot.

I bought a pressure cooker with a basic twist-off lid for under $10 at
the local Sam's Club, and while it is a little cranky about sealing
properly at the beginning (before it really heats up), I've never had
a problem once it was under pressure.  Just set the sealed pot in your
kitchen sink under a stream of cold running water until you hear the
seal 'pop' (more of a 'woomph' than a 'pop' though ;-) before you open
it.  No problem!

If you could spend $20-30 on one, you could probably get a model with
more fancy dials and latches... That's what I'm planning to do, because I
use mine for a LOT of things now that I have it.  (Two words: beef stew)

-Teresa