From:
"Bryan H. Hall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 13:58:55 -0600
I have put the second food and water bottle in the cage.. and he seems
to be trying his darndest to try and guard both. Tenaka and Cayanne are
able to eat and drink, if they are fast enough! :)

I am also beginning to think that something else is going on here.  His
whole attitude and demeanor is changing... He has REALLY started to dig at
the carpet (*GROAN*) even though he KNOWS its wrong.  I know he knows
because when he digs where he isn't supposed to, I reach over and pick him
up to administer a nip on the scruff.  If I reach for him immediately after
he digs, he tries to run, so he KNOWS it is wrong.  He has even started
doing this when he knows I am watching!

Carpet runners don't seem to work... the ferts either crawl underneath the
runners to dig at the carpet, dig at the border of the carpet and the
runner, or some such like that.  I can't seem to find a decent way to affix
the runners (I made em myself..  spare carpet scraps from where I work) to
the carpet without ruining the carpet I am trying to protect!  Duct tape
makes an unholy mess... I am going to try some Gaffer's tape (providing I
can con the Drama department out of a roll or three).

I am going nuts here!  Jabba's got an attitude, Tenaka and Cayanne are
starting to get bad habits (though the nip on the scruff puts em back in
line quickly, provided it is followed by a time-out) and I really REALLY
want them to be able to be let out during the day, but I am afraid if I do,
I'll have no carpeting left!  The only solution I had that worked was to put
down hot pepper where they dig, but that caused Cayanne to have a
respiratory problem, so that is not possible again.  Can't put down
bitter-apple paste or something, because I spot-tested it in a corner, and
it changed the carpet's color!  (I have really REALLY old carpet in my
apartment).

I wish I could move to where I can get hard-wood floors... but in order to
get a good lease rate, I had to sign a two year lease.  I am stuck here for
another year.

*sigh* But they are STILL so cute and cuddly (except Jabba right now..
though he will cuddle every once in a while, that I can't stay mad at em for
long.

(I must be losing my sanity... I am considering adding number four if I can
find an adoptable fuzz-butt..)

      =========>Bryan Hall

Jabba: See? I told you so!
Cayanne: (shrug) Someone new to chase!
Tenaka:  As long as I get my raisins! (Someone new to chase!!!)