From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:20:57 -0400
Re: allergies and shots

I've done shots despite a history of anaphylactic reactions, but had to
wait in the office longer than most patients, could not go to as high a
level as most patients, and had to build at around a fourth to a sixth
of the normal rate depending on how many anaphylactic reactions I had
to my shots (one year having a half dozen.) and how extreme the
anaphylaxis was. So, they can be done in some tricky situations but
special care must be used.

Later I had two delayed reactions to the shots. Neither was life-
threatening but because i have such a strong history of potentially
fatal reactions we changed to SLIT which is Sublingual Immunotherapy --
drops under the tongue. Insurances in the U.S. don't want to cover
that until there are more studies (with the current studies already
done being ones with very good results) but we find that the cost of
doing it out of pocket is coming out to be about identical to what
was spent on transport and on co-payments so it isn't hurting us
economically despite not being covered. SLIT is used a lot more in
Europe but is making in-roads here. it has greatly helped me reduce
my allergic reactions and be comfortable.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: